You have probably heard this too – the photographer friend complaining their competitor is copying their style, stealing their clients, using the same presets … and charging way less!
It is easy to slip into this negative way of thinking.
“If you look at things in a new way – things will actually be different”
When I started my photography business, I was living in a new city and didn’t have many contacts. So I reached out to other local photographers, who I felt had a similar style (and coolness factor lol).
I emailed them, introduced myself, complimented their work and asked if they would be interested in starting a referral network.
It worked like this: If I was unable to photograph a certain client (see below for list of possible reasons), I would refer that client to the other photographer. And the other photographer would do the same for me.
I reached out to first 2 then later 3 other photographers and they all said YES!
Since starting this referral network, my annual sales increased by approximately 20%.
“You must never think for a moment that the supply is limited….
Never get afraid that you will lose what you want because some other person “beats you to it”. That cannot possibly happen; you are not seeking anything that is possessed by anybody else”
– Wallace D. Wattles
The more you give the more you will receive.
Have you used your competition to advance your business? We would love to know how! Take a second and leave us a comment on this article.
REASONS TO REFER CLIENTS TO OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS:
- you are already booked on that date (i.e. weddings, events, holiday sessions, too busy)
- you don’t do that type of photography (i.e. newborns, real estate)
- you feel the client would be better suited to a different photographer (i.e. personality clash, wrong style)
- your competitor’s marketing efforts give you clients
- your reputation and visibility is increased when other reputable photographers recommend you
- you make new friends (and you never know when you might need help i.e. you are sick and cannot show up for a scheduled photoshoot).
If you found this article helpful, please share it or leave a comment! If you know someone who could benefit from this article please share it. I'd love to hear from you!
Until next month with much love and gratitude,